Earlier I alluded to a separation from Z. Talk about a poor choice of words on my end. We are very much still together. What I should have emphasized was the geographic separation– meaning the two of us are doing the long distance thing. I miss him terribly. For those of you who haven’t seen us together [which is virtually everyone reading this] allow me to elaborate as to why my boyfriend is spectacular, spectacular.
Ten Things I Love About Z:
1) When you share a brain with somebody a mutual understanding exists unlike any other. Inherent knowledge of each other comes naturally to us. I understand his thought process because it is my thought process. Simply put he gets me. Not that I think I’m some complex being who is impossible to decipher, but it’s nice to be understood by a kindred spirit on the exact same wavelength. And to think it all started on the patio talking about zombies and cancer….
2) Despite the cerebral cortex we jointly occupy, we are not identical. Our differences give us a healthy dose of opposites attracting. Some of them are trivial [we squabble about my tendency to overshare on Facebook] whereas others, such as religious beliefs, fall into the more profound category. Yet we always respect each other and find compromise whenever possible. So what if he’d rather jam at Bonnaroo instead of moshing with me at Warped Tour?! This punk girl fell head over heels for her hippie boy. 😉
3) He appreciates this blog. Before we ever became a couple he plopped down in front of his laptop and read Cocktails With Hemingway for hours on end. While he doesn’t pretend to have read every entry, his retention rate amazes me. Even more amazing was his response when I asked him if my words sent him running for the hills. But that’s a story for another day.
4) His kisses make me swoon. I’ve never been much for kissing. That changed with him. We cuddle. A lot. There’s even– gasp– gratuitous amounts of PDA. Our chemistry is through the roof and the attraction magnetic.
5) We’re a team. From the very beginning we decided we were ‘in it to win it’ and wanted to do everything in our power to make things work. Both of us have the same attitude regarding important life issues such as family and money. We’ve set goals for ourselves and our relationship. However, it goes beyond discussing our one and five year plans, and involves taking concrete steps to achieve said goals. His encouragement and support makes me want to be the best Sloane I can be….we have a mutual appreciation for each other and our roles in our partnership.
6) The fun never stops. How lucky I am to be with my best friend. As is the case with Maris, Danielle, or Seth– Z and I always have fun. Somehow the most mundane activities turn into lasting memories. We laugh constantly. Even at the most inopportune times. Especially at the most inopportune times. I cherish every second I spend with him and make scheduling time together a priority.
7) Our conversations make me want to talk forever. Bonus points for the fact that we frequently utilize the same awesome words. What he says demonstrates his intelligent and inquisitive mind…I don’t think he realizes how much I value our discussions. He’s sarcastic with razor sharp wit. He’s beyond funny. He’s got a heart of gold and is one of the kindest, most compassionate people I’ve ever met. That is if you can crack the hardened exterior. Gee, who does this sound like?
8) He calls me Bucket. Because I’m as stubborn as a mule I insist on wearing the [Type A] pants. To an extent he lets me get away with it, but thankfully he doesn’t take my crap. He teases me about my camo shirt and penchant for celebrity gossip. If I’m being unfair or doing something wrong he’s not afraid to tell me. Without ever being offensive he helps me off my high horse. And if he does hurt my feelings or incur my wrath? He’ll be the first to apologize because upsetting me is never his intention.
9) We’re secure in our relationship. Trust is imperative, blending seamlessly with our themes of honesty and communication. I trust him. That’s a bold statement coming from me because I can count the number of people I trust on one hand. It’s not just about fidelity, it’s knowing what we have. We’re not going to compromise our bond with dishonesty or insecurity. He’s not jealous. Hell, he even listens as I vent about my ex-husband, the father of my children. When I asked if reading about the dating adventures on this blog bothered him he said: “I know what we have and how it is when we’re together.” It’s like he knew even then I could go on all the dates in the world and I’d still find my way to him….
10) He loves me just as I am. This includes my flaws and shortcomings. He embraces my quirks. I can always be unadulterated self around him. Never once has he tried to change me. Every person has their good, bad, and ugly sides– and he’s seen all of mine.
With infinite love, gratitude, and respect,